Are you not sure where to start to build a relationship with God and don't necessarily feel the typical salvation prayer fits or is enough? Here are some great tips on how to get there!
Three steps to help start a relationship with God:
1. Accept that you are mortal and God is immortal. You will die from this earth as you go to the afterlife. You are not God and thus are not immortal.
2. Believe that you will not go another day without God in your life and you will do what it takes to get there.
3. Be open to what God has to tell you and do what He says. Remember God never tells you to do anything that would hurt, maim, or destroy.
Three steps to help maintain that relationship with God:
1. Go through your past and do a general cleansing with God about what has happened, including your part in it. See what patterns developed and what limited thinking patterns you may have developed. See a good therapist or pastor and read books like “Boundaries” by Henry Cloud and John Townsend and use the “Love is a choice” workbook.
Write letters to significant people in your life whom you have things that were left unsaid. You can choose to mail them or not, depending on the situation. Also write a letter to yourself forgiving yourself for not knowing more before, etc. This is very cleansing.
2. With God, work on the present moment with your relationships, noticing your limited thinking patterns. Hopefully you are working with a good therapist to bounce ideas off of. Admit when you make mistakes and learn from them. Be kind to yourself.
3. Reevaluate your progress every three months for the first two years to see what is working and what is not. Thereafter, reevaluate when needed or at least once/year. Spiritual growth is a process and takes work, but it is worth it.